Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Wet Shaving is Complicated - Is it Worth it?


For some of you, you may not know what Wet Shaving is at all... I know I didn't. Not that long ago, every man (and maybe a few women) shaved in this way, but electric shavers and quick disposable razors have all but eliminated this nostalgic art. (I snickered as I saw the latest Bond movie and saw what society may picture as the iconic male - wet shaving in his hotel room). I was very curious about wet shaving, and felt it would be a good 'manly' thing to try. After all, if my grandfather did it, I feel it would be a good thing to know how to do... My wife got me a shaving kit for Christmas, complete with a shaving brush, shaving soap and aftershave (see below). The problem was I had no idea what I was doing.


I went online and spent hours of research (literally) looking at razors and watching countless YouTube videos trying to figure out how to do it. I bought myself what some reviewers consider the Cadillac of double edge razors, the Edwin Jagger DE89. I love it! It is heavy, brilliantly shiny, and good quality.


After several months and even more hours on YouTube and other sites, I am still struggling to figure out what kinds of products to use. There are a lot of methods and seemingly millions of creams/soaps/discs to use in a variety of bowls/scuttles and other methods of lathering. Everyone has their own opinion of what works best, and it is certainly overwhelming.





So after all the hassle, why do I keep trying? Well first, I bought a $40 razor (which of course I will likely be able to pass down to my son). Another reason as I noted above, is there is something nostalgic in shaving in this manner... sure it takes longer than using a Gillette Mach Whatever in the shower or sink, but I don't think that's always a bad thing. Am I 'wet shaving' every day? goodness no... maybe some day I will. Overall, the products smell great, it's a few intentional minutes I have to myself (I've even put on my Cool Jazz station on my iPhone's Pandora app a couple times), and the shave is INCREDIBLY close - leaving my skin feeling awesome! I am certainly still learning, and question whether the products I am using are the right kind. I am going to try what I see as the consensus of articles and reviews deems the best overall brand - Proraso Shaving Cream (there's a whole line of products shown here). I'll let you know how it goes.


For those of interested in wet shaving, I have included a few blog posts that originally peaked my interest and gave me a good deal of beginner info. Also, anyone willing to offer some tips, please don't hesitate!



No comments:

Post a Comment