Sunday, February 24, 2013

The 'Narrow Little Road' to an Identity


Our pastor today was talking about the “narrow little road” which leads to life, and how easy it is to take the exit ramp off that road pursuing any number of distractions. These distractions can be our feelings (searching for happiness or pleasure can lead us off the narrow road), dreams, ideas, relationships or even our identity. I admit that I am easily distracted by these things and often look up and wonder, “How did I get here”? When I considered starting this blog, I looked around at other ‘manly’ blogs to get some ideas and to see if there was anything like what I was picturing for my own blog. I quickly found a number of sites that indicated in cleverly designed fonts and illustrations what it took to be a man. I was hooked… I wanted to read more… what does it take to be a man? I realized quickly this time (thankfully) that I won’t find what it means to be a man on any site that doesn’t point me to the person of Jesus Christ. It is in Him I find my purpose and identity.

It has taken me a long time to understand what that means… I have spent so long feeling guilty for not fitting in the manly ‘mold’, thinking something must be wrong with me. Sure, I like to use power tools, shoot my handgun, go camping, make love to my wife, smoke an occasional cigar and enjoy a good beer, but somehow all that is empty; those things don’t make me a man, although they seem to have inherent manly value. The other things I enjoy, art, music, knitting, baking, reading, deep discussions, and a good hug don’t convey the idea, “I’m a man” - herein lies the crux of the problem – I don’t fit a mold. Does this mean I am not a man? Does this mean I am crippled as I go through life lost, and defeated? For a long time I thought the answer to that was “yes”.

I am learning that my identity can’t be found in those things, but must be grounded in the Truth. Jesus claimed He was THE way, THE truth, and THE life.  Being grounded in Him and His plan/rules for my life is where I need to be. When I am grounded in Him, I won’t take those exit ramps nearly as quickly, or if I do, I will realize the mistake and by God’s grace get back on the narrow road, which is the path to LIFE.

No comments:

Post a Comment